Monday, March 10, 2014

Staying at home means having more time to get things done...says no mom EVER!

Image 

Even when I was a full time working mom, I always thought I didn't have anytime to make some of the homemade things I loved or wanted to make.  Yet somehow, I found the time, to my amazement.  Now that I am staying home, waiting the arrival of baby #2, Fiona, I thought I'd have a little more time to make stuff.  Well, that was a short lived thought.  I have a little more time now but still find that I am busy with our first child, Stella, among other things such as getting settled and finalizing bills, etc.  In my little world, in my head, I am going to do all of these great projects and such but in reality, only a few will get accomplished.  So when I got the spark of energy (which is rare at 7 months pregnant) I took it and ran, and two glorious things were made, caramel sauce and chocolate syrup!  It really didn't take that long, even with the multiple times Stella needed or demanded my attention (I had her help a little which she thought was beyond fun, messy, but fun).  They are simple recipes and a huge cost savings, and I think they taste so much better, more homey as my one friend Amanda put it.  I like that.  So here they are (see below).  Enjoy!

Chocolate Syrup
3/4 C cocoa powder
1 1/4 C water
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Dash, salt
In a 2 qt saucepan or larger, whisk together all ingredients except vanilla over medium/low heat.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Boil for 1-2 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Pour in mason jar and allow to cool completely.  *Please note: at first this will be very runny and thin, but as it cools it will thicken, so don't freak out.

Caramel Sauce
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C whipping cream (or milk, evaporated milk, soy milk, etc)
4 T butter
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
In a 2 qt saucepan or larger, whisk ingredients together except for vanilla. Bring to boil while stirring constantly.  Boil for 15-20 minutes until thickened.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  I pour mine in a mason jar but any container will work that can withstand extreme heat.  Allow to cool completely.  If stored in fridge it will harden, just remove and allow to warm to room temperature a few minutes before use.  Or if you are impatient like me, scrape it out of the jar and make a mess!  It's so good in coffee with homemade sweetened condensed milk (yes, I have a recipe for that as well and will post later).  Enjoy!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment